Monday, May 16, 2011

Reflection Series: Science, Romance, Mystery

Based on three poems of Edgar Allan Poe:
       http://www.online-literature.com/poe/580/
       http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/annabel-lee/
       http://www.heise.de/ix/raven/Literature/Lore/TheRaven.html


Ellen Poe's stories are pleasurable reads. His sonnet on science though makes me wonder how he knew about Diana in the 1800s. His works, however, are a true art and reflect the concerns of his day - especially with science. They are true examples for the age of romanticism and emphasizes on feeling rather than reason. From science to romance, and then to mystery: all are charged with emotions and exoteric communication.

Poe recognizes the undeniable power of science. He describes her as the unavoidable daughter of man's many years of observation and civilizations. I imagine her to be elderly too; with 'peering eyes,' which I imagine to be a dense glass over her eyes. Full of years and experience she carefully 'preys' on objects in some kind of arbitrary sequence. Poe feels endangered; he knows that he is on this queue and he is nervous. I envision my grannies - from my childhood eyes; how I saw them treat a sibling that was sick or injured. They were often too carried away with the benefit of their therapy that their old ears barely heard the screams of pain by the hurting kid; nor their feeble hands sensitive enough to soothe a painful spot. I still remember my edginess whenever I was on the menu. I would vow never to be sick again - especially when granny is around. Poe also recognizes the limitations and delusions of science, and he considers nature less unnerving. In fact, he thinks of nature as the jewel and shelter for the afflicted of science. The balance of nature and its harmony is unparalleled. Its flawlessness faults the shabby science on every count. Poe is uncomfortable, and so are many.

Poe's Annabelle Lee picks on the ranting of a romantic heart. The expression, “…in a kingdom by the sea,” makes the story sound like a folktale. I like the proclaimers words, “… a maiden there lived whom you may know…” It comes across as though the maiden is so popular to this fellow that he thinks the world might as well know her. Apparently, they were childhood lovers in this kingdom by the sea. Their love and commitment to each other grew with them, and, not surprisingly, invited even the envy of celestial beings. Everyone probably admires the unrelenting affection of any couple and covets it - even the gods. It seems like these gods are notorious for wanting true love for them only - notorious enough to become serial killers. Annabelle Lee's lover is undaunted by this conspiracy, and convince that no one, not even deity, can separate their love for each other: even nature sings and twinkles to their affection. He is going to be with his lover, even if it means taking the challenge to the realms of the gods.

Finally is Poe's intriguing raven story. When I was a child visiting the villages with my parents and surrounded by nature's wild, I remember a similar experience. The residents had told me about the different sounds that dogs make when the see dead people walking around. I had believe these tales. One night, our dog started out this chorus, and soon the neighboring dogs joined. I was never more uncomfortable being among the living. I felt so weak and vulnerable, and could not wish more for the morning. In this condition, I too would have thought of a raven as having special abilities. Its crowing would very much sound like whatever word it matches best within my language: “Nevermorrrrrre!”

I love these poems: I feel very connected with their stories. It is often good to hear someone else describe certain effects of life that one would normally never speak about to other people because they may laugh at the assumed paranoia of the speaker, and make jokes about the stories that are sure to dawdle. After all, as a quiet room is more daunting in the dark, so are the stories of the night best left to the night. 




Poe, Edgar Allen. "YouTube - Annabel Lee." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Web. 05 Mar. 2011. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4bb_6MmgZo>.
Poe, Edgar Allen. "The Raven." 1854. Print.
"Sonnet: To Science by Edgar Allan Poe." The Literature Network: Online Classic Literature, Poems, and Quotes. Essays & Summaries. Web. 05 Mar. 2011. <http://www.online-literature.com/poe/580/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment